Love me some biscuits and gravy! It’s such a delicious southern breakfast favorite and it’s actually really easy to make. Traditional biscuits and gravy is simple a plate of buttermilk biscuits smothered in a rich, thick gravy with sausage.
Your basic sausage gravy recipe is as simple as browned sausage, butter, milk and flour. That’s it. You start with browning the sausage in a large pan. It’s important to use a large enough pan with high sides because you’re going to be adding the milk and flour and let it all simmer to create an amazing gravy. After you brown the sausage and get it all nice and crumbly, drain the fat, but leave just a little behind, maybe a tablespoon for added flavor. Next you add the butter and let it melt in. Next you add the flour and mix it in well while stirring. Then slowly ad the milk, stir and simmer for about 10 minutes until it’s nice and thick consistency.
And here’s the easy part… you don’t even have to bother with making the biscuits from scratch. Just get the kind in the pop open tube and bake those for 10 minutes. Now smother those hot biscuits with your homemade sausage and you’re all set for an amazing breakfast classic.
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 2½ cups milk
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and drain most of the fat. Leave about a tablespoon or two left.
- Over mediuym heat add the butter and stir until melted. slowly add flour and continue to stir.
- Add milk, salt and pepper, stir until well mixed and let simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over fresh hot biscuits!