There’s several recipes that are perfect for using your Instant Pot and making homemade macaroni and cheese is definitely at the top of the list. This recipe makes an amazingly creamy, rich and delicious macaroni and cheese that is an absolute new favorite for all of us!
When I first got my Instant Pot I didn’t quite know what all the fuss was about. Now I know. There’s so many things you can make that are delicious and take a fraction of the time. Making macaroni and cheese usually gives you two options – the famous box brand of go through a whole process to make it homemade in the oven. Well i’m happy to report that you’re only use your Instant Pot and a bowl for mixing some ingredients. Oh, and you’re really gonna want to grate your own cheese so you’ll need a cheese grater too. More on that in a minute.
Cooking the pasta couldn’t be more simple. We use a 1lb box of elbow macaroni and 4 cups of water in the instant pot for 5 minutes on pressure cook. While the pot is coming to pressure and cooking, you can take care of everything else in a bowl. Then of course, you’ll need the cheese. The perfect combination and ratio for the cheese is an 8oz package of extra sharp cheddar cheese and 4 oz of mild cheddar cheese. The flavor combination of those amounts works perfectly. You’ll want to grate your own cheese because it’s a better product for making a cheese sauce than the pre-shredded kind. Pre-shredded cheese contains additional ingredients such as potato starch and powdered cellulose – both of which help to not clump. This is fine for many recipes but for a macaroni and cheese cheese sauce, fresh grated is the way to go.
After the macaroni finishes it’s 5 minute cooking time, you’ll do a quick pressure release in mix the macaroni with 2 tablespoons of butter. This will break up and clumped together pieces and gets the macaroni ready for the milk and seasoning mixture. The mixture consists of a can of evaporated milk, one egg, 3 teaspoons of ground mustard and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Don’t worry, the cayenne pepper doesn’t make your macaroni spicy, it help bring out more of the cheese flavor within the sauce.
Once you’re done making this recipe, I suggest to let it sit in the Instant Pot for about 10 minutes on the warm setting. This gives the cheese sauce and all the flavors to really marry together.
- 1lb (16oz) elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz mild cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Add macaroni to instant pot and stir in 4 cups of water. Mix it well and make sure all macaroni is covered. Secure lid and use manual (pressure cook) for 5 minutes with vent sealed.
- While macaroni is cooking, use a bowl and add evaporated milk, egg, salt, and ground mustard. Mix well. Shred the cheese and set aside.
- When cooking time is up, remove lid and use a spatula with mix the macaroni and stir in the butter. Do this for a minute or so to break up and mix all the macaroni.
- Add egg and milk mixture and continue to stir. Then slowly add the cheese, a handful at a time and continue to mix it in until melted. This should take a couple of minutes. If dish is still watery, set you instant pot to saute (low setting) and stir for a couple of minutes. This will thicken it up.
- Finally, with your Instant Pot set to "keep warm", leave it alone for 5-7 minutes before serving. Enjoy!