This is the easiest ever Instant Pot split pea and ham soup. It’s also one of the best soup recipes i’ve ever made. The pep is easy, the ingredients are simple, and the outcome is delicious.
The Instant Pot is an excellent appliance for making all kinds of dishes and soup is no exception. Many soup recipes are perfect for a slow cooker but sometimes you don’t always have the time to plan so far ahead and with this Instant Pot soup recipe, you can be enjoying this awesome meal in under an hour. It’s also incredibly easy to make.
I’ve searched high and low for split pea soup recipes and have tried so many i’ve lost count. One thing I always look for is a recipe that’s easy to make and which I usually have the ingredients on hand. For this recipe, we use an 8oz package of cubed ham. This is easy to find most supermarkets. It also uses a couple of carrots, an onion, chicken broth and of course, split peas. Since chicken broth is so popular in many pressure cooker recipes, I keep many cartons on hand. I like to go with the lower sodium chicken stock, as most recipes will have additional salt and it can be easy to over dot it. I’ve found the perfect amount of chicken stock to use is 6 and 1/2 cups; 2 carrots is the perfect amount, some Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, a little celery salt and a tablespoon of black pepper and you’ve got an amazing, rich, hearty and delicious split pea with ham soup!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
- 16oz package of dry split peas
- 6.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 8oz package of cooked cubed ham
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add onion and saute for about 3 minutes, then add ham and seasonings and continue to saute for another 3 minutes. Press cancel to stop saute cycle.
- Add chicken broth, split peas and carrots, stir well. Secure lid and pressure cook for 18 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release (NPR) and serve when ready.