This chicken Marsala recipe is a classic in every sense of the word. Chicken Marsala is a simple dish of boneless, skinless chicken breast in a sauce of mushrooms and Marsala wine. There is some debate as to the exact origins of this dish, however, it’s certain to come from the region of Italy know for it’s Marsala wine. Speaking of the wine, this recipe uses Marsala cooking wine. It’s readily available at most supermarkets for around 3 bucks. If you have regular Marsala wine, that’s excellent to use as well.
The recipe starts with cooking the chicken in a pan with the butter and olive oil. This is also why it’s important to have uniform thickness chicken breasts. Anything more that a half inch thick will be hard to cook in the pan. Chicken breast cutlets are also fine to use for this recipe.
After the chicken cooks through, you’ll make the sauce in the same pan. It’s important to add the ingredients in the order specified, as to assure everything is cooked just right.
This recipe is excellent for a weeknight meal and is super easy to make. You’ll only need one pan and the only real prep necessary is to chop the mushrooms and mince the garlic. You can always use store bought minced garlic and use canned mushrooms as well. Of course, the Recipe Teacher loves fresh ingredients whenever available.
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups Sliced Mushrooms (about ½ pound)
- 1 Cup Marsala Cooking Wine
- 1 Cup Chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- Fresh parsley spring (for garnish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start with chicken breasts that are uniform in size. You want them about ½ inch thick. Use a meat mallet if necessary.
- Heat 1 tabspoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste and add to hot pan. Cook for about 2 - minutes per side, golden brown and internal temp of 165F. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining butter and olive oil to pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook for about 2-3 minutes until starting to brown. Then add garlic and heat for another minute.
- Next, add the Marsala wine, broth and heavy cream. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8-11 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Add chicken back to pan, covered in sauce and simmer for another minute.