- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes (low-sodium)
- 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) cans dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) cans light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pickled jalapeños, drained
- Using a large pan or cooker, heat oil over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and peppers. Stir until soft – about 6-8 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin and chili powder. Mix it well with a wooden spoon and then add ground beef. Use a wooden spoon and break up the meat while it browns. Cook for about 7 minutes or until beef is no longer pink.
- Empty the entire contents of the pan into slow cooker and add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. DRAIN THE CANS OF BEANS FIRST, then add them as well. Stir everything well. Cook on low for 8 hours.