The Instant Pot is a cooking craze like no other i’ve seen in a very long time. It seems lie there’s always some kind of new kitchen gadget that supposed to revolutionize cooking and then they sputter away. Not The Instant Pot. This electric pressure cooker (which can also be use as a slow cooker), has people going crazy with delicious and easy to make recipes. And one of the very best thing to back in your new Instant Pot, is baby back ribs!
If you’ve never made ribs at home, trust me, now you’re gonna want to. I purchased a huge slab of ribs at a local grocery store for $9.80 and less than an hour later had one of the very best slab of ribs i’ve ever had. I couldn’t believe it.
The method for making ribs in your instant pot is quite simple. First, this recipe works best with the 6qt size. You remove the “silver skin” (the membrane on the underside of the ribs to start. Simply use a knife to lift it off, then grab it with a paper towel and pull it off. It’s a lot easier than it sounds and you never want to skip this step when making ribs. Next, apply some of this awesome dry rub. It’s made from brown sugar and a few spices which will really jazz up the ribs and bring out all the flavor. Then it goes in the Instant Pot for a 25 minute cycle (set on “meat” or manual pressure cook). When you remove it from the Instant Pot, brush on BBQ sauce and place under the broiler in your over for 5 minutes. This will caramelize the top and make the ribs simply outstanding.
Feel free to use any kind of BBQ sauce you like. Personally, I like a tangy sauce with a little zing to it. And don’t skip that last step in the broiler. As you’ll see from the picture of this recipe, that’s what brings home all the goodness.
If you’ve been on the fence about getting one of these appliances, let me say i’ve LOVED it and once you make these ribs, I think you’ll love it too!Print
- 1 slab of baby back pork ribs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- In bowl, mix together brown sugar with the rest of the dry spices
- Remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs.
- Liberally rub both sides of the ribs a few shakes of Liquid Smoke, the the rub mix.
- Place the steam rack in bottom of Instant Pot and curl up the ribs so they fit in on their side.
- Add water, cider vinegar. Secure lid to the top with the vent closed.
- Set to “meat” for 25 minutes.
- After the 25 minutes, let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then go ahead and quick release the rest.
- Lay the ribs out on foil lined pan, brush ribs with BBQ sauce, and place under broiler for about 5 minutes.