Use your air fryer to make the most delicious homemade buttermilk spicy chicken sandwich.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Pound the chicken breasts to even thickness (about 1/2″) and cut crosswise to make 2 equal halves. Set aside.
- In a large container or ziptop bag, add buttermilk, garlic powder and salt; whisk until well combined. Add chicken breasts to the buttermilk mixture and marinate in the fridge for 2-24 hours.
- Setup Breading Station: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, onion powder and salt. In another bowl, beat 2 eggs. Finally on a wide plate add the panko breadcrumbs.
- Take the marinated chicken, one at a time and let the excess buttermilk mix drip off, then coat it in flour. Shake off excess flour and dunk into egg mixture. Let excess egg drip off and then place it on the plate with the panko breadcrumbs. Coat well with the breadcrumbs, pressing in if need be. Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spray air fryer basket or tray with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil and preheat air fryer at 390° for 5 minutes. When ready, place chicken into air fryer and use air fry setting at 390°(F) for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While chicken is cooking, use a small bowl and mix mayonnaise with hot sauce. Set aside. You can also toast the sandwich buns and set aside.
- When the chicken is done, check for internal temp of 165°(F). Then place chicken on buns with the spicy mayo spread, fresh lettuce and tomatoes. And of course, top with pickles! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 12 min
- Category: Lunch, dinner
- Method: air fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk, spicy, chicken sandwich, air fryer