This vibrant, mouthwatering chicken tortilla soup uses fresh chicken breast and simple pantry-friendly ingredients to make a restaurant-quality soup in your Instant Pot. Ready in about 45 minutes, it’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, thawed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels (can be fresh, frozen or canned)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- For serving: tortilla chips of strips
- Optional: sliced avocados, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro
- Set Instant pot to sauté mode and add olive oil. When hot, add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add minced garlic, jalapeño and spices (cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne) and sauté for 1 more minute. After the 1 minute, add about 1/4 cup of the chicken broth and scrape up any stuck-on bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Press cancel to stop the sauté mode. Add the remaining broth. Now add the chicken breasts, crushed tomatoes, lime juice, black beans and corn and salt. Do not stir.
- Close the lid and seal the pressure valve. Set to pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- When the pin drops, carefully remove lid and use tongs to remove the chicken breasts from the pot. Transfer them to a plate and shred with 2 forks.
- Return the shredded chicken back into the pot and give the soup a good mix so that all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Serve with tortilla chips/strips and toppings of your choice!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican