- 1 lb pinto beans, dry
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 finely chopped and deseeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode. When hot add oil, cumin seeds and bay leaf. Let sizzle for about 30 seconds.
- Next add the onion and jalapeno and saute for about 1 minute. Then add garlic, cilantro, paprika, taco seasoning and salt ans saute for 1 more minute.
- Press cancel to stop the saute mode and add 1 cup of water and scrape and stuck on bits off the bottom of the pot. Add remaining 4 cups of water and the beans. Secure lid and pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. Then do 20 minutes natural release.
- Carefully remove lid, remove the bay leaf, drain liquid and set it aside (important!). Use an immersion blender or a potato masher and mash/blend the beans until the become smooth or desired consistency. Add the reserve liquid in batches until you get the consistency you like. The beans will thicken quite a bit so you’ll wind up using most of the reserve liquid.
- Add any additional salt and the lime juice and serve with your favorite garnish.