An easy Instant Pot pressure cooker recipe for creamy cilantro chicken. A perfect low carb dinner recipe with tender chicken thighs covered with flavorful sauce made with fresh cilantro and yogurt.
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
For spice mix:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 bunch fresh chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- In a medium bowl, mix together the spice mix ingredients with the 3 tbs of olive oil to create a thick paste. Season each chicken thigh with the spice mix paste and set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- After 10 minutes, set Instant Pot to “Sauté” mode and add 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. When it says “hot” add chicken thighs. Cook until golden crisp for 3-5 minutes, then flip and cook 3 minutes more. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Keep Instant Pot in sauté mode and add the onion and jalapeno slice. Sauté for about 3 minutes or until onions just start to soften, then add garlic and continue for another 1 minute. Press cancel, add chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot (scrape off any cooked-on bits). Add salt, cilantro and then chicken directly into the liquid.
- Secure lid, make sure valve is set to sealing position, and pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Then let pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, then after the 5 minutes, go ahead and quick release the rest and carefully remove lid when pin drops. Press “cancel” to stop all warming/cooking.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Let sauce cool for a minute or two, then add 1 tablespoon of water to the yogurt and mix it together. Then slowly whisk the yogurt into the sauce. Once yogurt is whisked in, press sauté and reduce the sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve sauce over chicken with fresh cilantro.
Recipe developed in collaboration with Abi Guna.
Photography by Abi Guna
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant pot, chicken thighs, cilantro