This amazing homemade soup features split red lentils, fire roasted red peppers and is loaded with wholesome goodness. Perfect for a meal any night of the week.
- 1 cup split red lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 clove (1tsp) minced garlic
- 1.5 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup fire roasted red peppers, diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tbs)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste (about 1 tsp)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- Place olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, add celery onion and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional 1 minute.
- Add broth, red lentils, turmeric, pepper, fire roasted red peppers, lemon zest and lemon juice and salt (and ginger if using). Stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from heat and blend soup with an immersion blender to desired consistency.