This Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup is quick, hearty, and delicious! Made with tender beef, barley, and flavorful veggies, it’s perfect for a satisfying meal. Made in a fraction of the time of traditional methods.
- 1.5 lbs stew meat, cubed into 1 inch chunks or smaller
- ½ cup medium pearled barley
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2” chunks
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs parsley flakes
- ½ tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs A1 steak sauce
- 1 tbs Worcestershire
- 1tsp beef base
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Cut stew mean into chunks of about 1/2″ – 1″ in size. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut carrots into 1/2″ chunks. Chop celery and onion into pieces large chunks or about 1/2″ also. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and add 2 tbs vegetable oil. When oil is hot, add half the beef.
- Sauté beef for about 3-5 minutes or until browned on all sides. It may stick at first, but will release after a minute or so. Remove meat to a plate or bowl and brown remaining beef. Remove to plate.
- Add remaining vegetable oil and add onions, celery and carrots. Sauté for for 3-4 minutes or until onions start to become soft. Add garlic and continue sautéing for 1 more minute. Press cancel to stop sauté mode.
- Add white wine and scrape any stuck on bits from the bottom of pot.
- Add beef back to pot. Add broth and water. Stir in barley. Add in tomato paste, beef base, A1, Worcestershire, thyme, parsley and bay leaves.
- Cover, set valve to sealing position and pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. When cooking time is complete, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes (do nothing). After 10 minutes, open valve and let remaining pressure release.
- Carefully remove cover and gently stir everything. Press cancel to stop keep warm cycle.
- Let soup rest for 10 minutes. The barley will continue to absorb the liquid.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American