A tender and delicious BBQ pulled chicken made easy in your Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1tbs kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Trim any excess fat from chicken. Cut breasts in half so each piece is about the same size as the thighs.
- Add 1 tbs olive oil to Instant pot and press saute. Add all dry ingredients in a large 1 gallon ziplock bag and shake to mix well. Add chicken pieces to bag with 1 tbs olive oil, seal bag and shake for a minute, massaging the seasoning to cover all the pieces of chicken. When Instant Pot reads “hot”, use tongs and carefully add the pieces of chicken. Don’t force all the pieces to fit, do 2 batches. Let the chicken sear for 2-3 minutes and then carefully flip the pieces and do the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Remove to plate when done and proceed with 2nd batch.
- After all the chicken is browned, pour 1/2 cup of broth into the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the bits from the bottom. Don’t skip this step, it’s important. Once the bottom is scraped up, add the other cup of broth, the Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Then add chicken. Squeeze all the chicken in as best you can – most should be covered with the liquid, but not all. Secure lid, set vent to “sealing” and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes. When cooking time is done, allow pressure to naturally release for at least 10 minutes.
- Once pressure is released and pin drops, carefully remove lid. Use tongs and remove chicken to a separate bowl. Add about 1/4 cup of the juices from the Instant Pot and use 2 forks to shred chicken.
- You’re ready to add your favorite BBQ sauce (probably about 1/2 cup), but you can just add more of the juices from the pot – the taste of that alone is unbelievable!
- Serve on warm brioche or other rolls and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 45min (including building pressure and release time)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: BBQ
Keywords: instant pot, pulled chicken, bbq