This homemade cornbread is the perfect combination of sweet and moist, with all the classic corn flavor you know and love. Topped with butter and served warm, it’s perfect for any occasion.
- 1.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup corn niblets (frozen, thawed)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, minus one yolk
- 8 tbs butter (1 stick), divided
- Preheat oven to 400°(F) with rack in 2nd to top position. Place cast iron on rack to heat up while oven preheats.
- In one large bowl, add cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Whisk together well.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, buttermilk 7tbs melted butter. Mix well. Add wet batter to dry ingredients and mix just until everything is incorporated. Finally, mix in the corn.
- Carefully remove cast iron skillet and add remaining 1tbs of butter. Swirl pan around to get butter to coat well.
- Pour batter into skillet and smooth out with a spatula.
- Bake cornbread on 2nd to top rack at 400°(F) for 22-25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Carefully remove from oven and let sit for several minutes to cool a bit before slicing and serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American