A hearty and robust Instant Pot vegetarian chili recipe that is easy to make and ready to serve in about 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon adobo chipotle chili sauce *(see notes below)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 can (14.5oz) black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can (14.5oz) pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste (usually about 1tsp)
- 2 tsp canned diced green chilies (optional)
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and press saute. Once hot, add onion and green pepper and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic and continuing sauteing for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Press cancel and then add all dry ingredients. Mix well for about 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable broth and scrape bottom of pot with wooden spoon to get up any stuck on bits.
- Add in diced tomatoes, adobo sauce, tomato puree, black beans, pinto beans and gently stir it all together.
- Secure lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When time is complete, let natural release for 5 minutes before quick releasing remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir. Chili will thicken within a few minutes.
- Serve with favorite garnishes including cheddar cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, jalapenos and cilantro.
Tomato puree can be substituted with by using a 6oz can of tomato paste and adding an additional 1/3 cup of vegetable broth.
Use adobo sauce from a can (usually 7oz) of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce. Save remaining sauce and peppers for other recipes.
Keywords: instant pot, vegetarian, chili