Meaty, spicy and full of flavor, this awesome Instant Pot chili recipe is a delicious, hearty meal. Loaded with boneless beef chuck, black beans and fresh veggies, this easy recipe can be ready to enjoy in about an hour.
The Instant Pot pressure cooker excels at so many things, and some of my favorite recipes for it are chili recipes. Whether making a vegetarian chili recipe or one that’s loaded with hearty beef chuck, chili can be done in a fraction of the time it takes by traditional means.
Our hearty beefy chili will use some simple ingredients: boneless beef chuck (chuck pot roast is fine), 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 1 jalapeño pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth, 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles, a can of black beans, salt and pepper. For the bell pepper you can use red, green, yellow or orange. Use 2 if you want! There’s lots of room for customizing this recipe.
Saute the meat to unlock the flavors
Our recipe starts by cutting 1.5lbs of boneless beef chuck into ¾ inch pieces. We’ll then use our Instant Pot in saute mode to brown the meat. It’s best to do this in 2 batches. If you overcrowd the meat it won’t brown properly. Once the meat is browned, set it aside on a plate. With the Instant Pot still in saute mode, add the diced onions and peppers and saute for 3-5 minutes or until softened. Then press cancel to stop the saute process
Deglaze the Pot
After we’ve sauteed our meat and veggies, add about ¼ cup of broth to the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. There’s a LOAD of flavor in these bits that will be awesome in our chili recipe.
Add Remaining Ingredients
After deglazing the bottom of the pot, we’re ready to add our ingredients. Pour in the broth first, followed by the meat and Worcestershire sauce. Add all the spices and give it a good stir. Then add the diced tomatoes right on top, followed by the tomato paste and then the beans. Don’t stir at this point. Let it all sit just the way it is. Secure the lid and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
When the pressure cooking time is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes. After that you can quick release the remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid and gently stir it all together.
Serve and Garnish
After a few minutes, the chili will begin to thicken. You’re then ready to serve this delicious chili with some awesome toppings. Some of my favorite toppings include: green onions, diced red onions, fresh cilantro, jalapeno slices, shredded cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt.Print
A hearty Instant Pot Beef Chuck Chili that’s loaded with beef, fresh veggies and a little heat. Easy recipe that’s ready in under an hour.
- 1.5 lbs. boneless beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat and cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium bell pepper (orange, yellow, red or green), diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 1.5 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles (not drained)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained rinsed
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Turn instant pot to “sauté” mode and add the oil to the pot. Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add the meat and brown for 3 minutes. (Make sure not to overcrowd the pot, do this step in 2 batches)
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno to the pot. Sauté for 3-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add ¼ cup of broth to pot and use a wooden spoon to deglaze (scrape up the bits off the bottom of the pot)
- Add the remaining broth, meat, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and Worcestershire and stir.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beans, and tomato paste. Don’t stir.
- Secure lid and make sure the seal is set to “sealing”. Pressure cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. When the time is up, allow the instant pot to release naturally for 15 minutes and turn off. Quick release any remaining steam.
- Remove the lid and gently stir everything together.
- Serve the chili with garnishes.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American