Beef stroganoff is a classic favorite and making it in your Instant Pot has never been easier. With tender chunks of beef, fresh mushrooms, egg noodles and a rich, savory sauce, this recipe is the ultimate in comfort food that you’re sure to love.
Beef Stroganoff actually originates as a Russian recipe from the 1800’s. Over the years, it’s been adopted by many cultures and has undergone several variations. Today in America, it’s considered a classic recipe that’s been served for generations.
Make It All In One Pot
No need to brown the meat separately with this recipe. No need to cook the noodles in another pot with this recipe. We’re going to do it all in the Instant Pot. It’s the perfect method that will take care of all the necessary steps.
Easy Steps and Ingredients
You can literally throw this together and have it on the table in under an hour. We start with 1 ½lbs. of stew meat. Most supermarkets sell beef stew meat which is already cut and is a great time saver. If you choose to cut the meat yourself, use a good cut of sirloin and cut into chunks of about 1 to 1 ½ inches. The mushrooms are the next star ingredient and nothing beats baby bella mushrooms. They have such a savory flavor and lend the perfect taste and texture to our beef stroganoff recipe. Some chopped red onion and a couple of cloves of garlic round out the main ingredients. Once everything is sauteed, we deglaze the bottom of the pot with a little broth. This step is essential and is loaded with awesome flavors which become a big part of the flavor profile.
Add Noodles and Cook an Additional 3 Minutes
After 15 minutes of pressure cooking we add the noodles and cook for another 3 minutes. This will cook the noodles to perfection. No need to use another pot or to cook the noodles separately. It also allows the noodles to take on the flavors of the liquid.
Finish Sauce with Greek Yogurt
Finally, we bring it all together with some Greek Yogurt to create a thick, rich and savory sauce. You want to be sure to use a full-fat Greek yogurt. This will prevent it from curdling. Greek yogurt provides the same creaminess of sour cream, with an additional tangy flavor that really brings the sauce to life.
Best Damn Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Total Time: 45 min
- Yield: 4-6 servings
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff with tender chunks of beef, fresh mushrooms, egg noodles and a rich, savory sauce all cooked together to perfection.
- 1 ½ lbs. beef stew meat (or sirloin cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (such as Lawry’s)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 cups medium egg noodles
- ½ cup full-fat Greek yogurt
- Place beef in a plastic bag or container and season with 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and add 2 tbs of butter. Once butter starts to sizzle, add half the beef and brown on all sides for about 2 minutes, tossing with a wooden spoon. Remove beef to a bowl and repeat with remaining beef. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté an additional 1 minute. Press cancel.
- Add ¼ cup of the beef broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pot. This is called deglazing (very important step).
- Once the bottom is scraped, sprinkle flour over ingredients and stir it in. Then add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Stir it all together. Add the sauteed beef.
- Secure lid with vent closed, pressure cook (manual) on high for 15 minutes.
- After the 15 minute cook time do a quick release of the pressure. Once pin drops, carefully remove lid and stir in the egg noodles. Then put lid back on (with vent closed) and pressure cook another 3 minutes.
- When the 3 minutes are up, do a quick release. After pin drops remove lid and press cancel. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the Greek yogurt. Sauce will thicken upon standing.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 18min (+time to come to pressure)
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot, Beef, Stroganoff, Noodles, Mushrooms, Greek Yogurt
This was really good! Very easy and it’s definitely comfort food. Great as leftovers too.
My husband and daughter loved it! And clean up was quick and easy. Definitely a keeper!
Eric From Philly
Im Eric from Philly! Uh, yeah… pretty amazing recipe! My wife and I could not stop eating it!! She hates yogurt so she didn’t know about it until we were done. I love doing that!
I made one adjustment: the 3 min pasta cooking did not quite cook the egg noodle through. I did a four minute pressure cook followed by a two minute natural release, then full release. Noodles were perfect!
I neglected to make a veggie so I added a couple hand fulls of assorted frozen veggies before adding the yogurt. It cooled the stroganoff just enough to add the yogurt in… no waiting.
We’ll be raving about this recipe for a long time!!!
Hey Eric. Thanks so much for the kind words about the recipe! Tossing in the frozen veggies is perfect. I’ll have to add that to the notes. Great idea! Thanks for the feedback.