An easy to make recipe for Instant Pot chicken noodle soup that eats like a meal. Loaded with fresh ingredients, chicken breast, and simple seasonings, it’s become one of my very favorite Instant Pot recipes!
I absolutely love my Instant Pot for making so many amazing recipes. And when it comes to soup recipes, the Instant Pot is king. Soup recipes which can normally take a long time to make, now take a fraction of the time and are so full of flavor, it blows my mind every time. Of course one of my favorite soups is classic chicken noodle soup. With nice meaty chunks of chicken breast, fresh celery, carrots and onion, and seasoned with a simple combination of fresh garlic, parsley and Italian spices, it comes together with extra-wide egg noodles to create a hearty meal you won’t believe.
An Easy to Make Recipe
We want to make this an easy recipe so we start with a fresh chicken breast, fresh vegetables and a good chicken broth. While it can be fun to make the broth from scratch with a whole chicken, we’ll save that for another day. Start by cutting up boneless skinless chicken breast up into small chunks. Each chunk will be about 1/4″ – 1/2″ in size. Make sure to use a good sharp knife and and it will slice through the chicken with ease. The chicken cooks perfectly this way, as opposed to pressure cooking the breast whole, and then shredding. Then we dice up a couple of carrots, a couple of celery stalks and mince up 4-6 cloves of garlic. Don’t worry, it won’t be garlic soup. The garlic fills out the flavor profile so well and compliments the other ingredients.
It All Cooks Together
This couldn’t be easier – we saute the vegetables for a few minutes, add in the chicken and saute for another couple of minutes, then we add the liquids, noodles, seasonings and pressure cook for 5 minutes. And then… guess what? It’s done! You don’t need to cook the noodles separately, they cook perfectly with everything else, and are more flavorful as a result.
Choosing the best broth and noodles
There’s so many different brand chicken broths out there and they come in regular flavors, low-sodium and sodium-free varieties. Feel free to use the one you like, but I find the full flavor varieties the best. I recently discovered Swanson Crafted Roasted chicken broth and I really love the deep flavor profile. And for the noodles, I like to go with extra-wide egg noodles. The size and shape hold up wonderfully to the pressure cooking process and they provide that thick and hearty goodness I love so much.
- 1 cup chicken breast, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium stalks of celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4–6 cloves of garlic, minced (about 1–2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Select “saute” on Instant Pot and add oil. When it shows “hot” add carrots, onions and celery. Saute with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Then add chicken and garlic and continue sauteing until chicken is white, about 3-4 more minutes.
- Press cancel and add parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and stir. Then add noodles, chicken broth and water. Stir gently and make sure everything is submerged. Secure lid, set vent to “sealing”, and pressure cook on high (manual) for 5 minutes.
- After cook time is complete, quick release the pressure, remove lid and serve.