Fresh veggies, eggs, cream and cheese make this Instant Pot frittata a rich and delicious breakfast that’s perfect for any occasion. It’s an easy recipe with simple steps and ingredients and is the perfect recipe for your Instant Pot pressure cooker.
What is a Frittata?
A frittata is an Italian breakfast dish that’s very similar to an omelette or a quiche. It’s basically a scrambled egg bake that’s made with cream and cheese and any variety of ingredients. For this recipe, we’re going to make a vegetable frittata with fresh broccoli, yellow pepper, cherry tomatoes and green onions. The base of our fritta will be eggs, cream and cheddar cheese.
This Instant Pot frittata recipe uses the pot in pot method, meaning, we put all ingredients in another cooking vessel, which sits inside the Instant Pot. In this case we use a 6 inch round aluminum cake pan. It’s the perfect size to fit inside any 6qt or 8qt Instant Pot.
Start with fresh veggies
One of the joys of a dish such as an omelette or frittata is all the fresh ingredients you can add. Our recipe calls for just ¼ cup of fresh broccoli florettes, ¼ cup of finely diced yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and a couple of chopped green onions. Since we’re not sauteeing the veggies, we want to make sure we’re dicing and cutting into small pieces so that that they cook well in the dish. They’ll still have their fresh snap when cooked in our frittata and will be the perfect compliment to the rich and creamy egg mixture.
A simple scramble
This recipe really couldn’t easier. We beat 4 eggs with the ¼ cup of heavy cream and add in the cheese, veggies, salt and pepper. If you have the opportunity to shred your own cheese, I definitely recommend it. Freshly shredded cheese melts much better and incorporates into the egg with the best results. But, you can of course use packaged shredded cheese if that’s what you have on hand. Then we grease our pan. This is very important. Egg likes to stick to everything so we’ll want to use cooking spray or butter to grease the inside of the 6 inch pan. Of course, I like to use butter. Then we pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot liner, place the trivet inside, and place our loaded up pan on top of the trivet. Secure the lid with the vent closed and pressure cook for 10 minutes, then a 10 minute natural release.
Let the dish sit for a few minutes
After the frittata is cooked and removed from the pot, we’ll want to let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. This will allow the egg mixture to setup more and ease in removal from the pan. You can then run a knife around the inside of the pan to help remove. Then cut into slices and serve.
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped broccoli florets
- 2 chopped green onions, plus some for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl, beat eggs with cream and add cheese, salt and pepper. Grease the inside of the 6″ pan.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, chopped pepper, broccoli and green onions. Mix well and pour into the 6″ pan.
- Fill Instant Pot liner with 1 cup of water and place trivet inside. Carefully place the filled 6″ pan on top of the trivet. Secure lid, set vent to “sealing” and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Then let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Quick release the rest of the pressure and carefully remove pan from the Instant Pot.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then run a knife along the inside of the pan to help remove the frittata.
- Slice frittata and serve with additional chopped green onion.