This recipe for Instant Pot lasagna has become one of my all time favorite recipes. It’s super easy to make and absolutely delicious. It comes our perfectly in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and uses all easy ingredients to make.
Easy to make lasagna on your plate in about an hour
Lasagna is such a delicious comfort food that we usually only have on special occasions when we have ample time for all the preparation, and ample time for it to cook in the oven. But, what if I told you that you could make homemade lasagna with only 15 minutes of prep, and 25 minutes cook time in the Instant Pot? Yep, in about an hour total you can have an awesome lasagna dinner. And, not only that, but we’re actually making 2 lasagnas at once! We use 2 mini loaf pans which fit snugly in a 6qt Instant Pot with ease. So, if you want to add additional ingredients to one lasagna, or subtract an ingredient for one, you certainly can. Two custom made lasagnas in one go. Perfect!
Simple ingredients for spinach lasagna
For this Instant Pot lasagna recipe we will use simple ingredients: frozen spinach, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, oven ready lasagna noodles, your favorite marinara sauce, Italian seasonings, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. You can also go gluten free! (please see the notes section below for special gluten free instructions)
Mini Loaf Pans are ideal for Instant Pot Lasagna
We start with mini loaf pans. There are several brands available but they are basically disposable aluminum pans that measure approximately 5.5″ x 3.5″ x 2″ deep. You can get them at just about any supermarket, Walmart, Target or even dollar stores. They usually come in packs of 5-10. Using the mini loaf pans is very convenient in terms of cleanup, making 2 different lasagnas at once, and also is ideal for cooking the lasagna to perfection in a short amount of time. And this way you don’t have to order any special large pans that take up storage room.
We start with a simple mixture of ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Mix it all up in a bowl and this will be your cheese mixture. The cottage cheese blends so well with the ricotta to create a rich, velvety cheese filling that’s SO good. Then we use oven ready lasagna noodles. Simply break them up to fit in the pans. It’s fine if some of the pieces overlap. You don’t have to assemble to perfect layers – they will all come together nicely during cooking. A layer of sauce goes down first, followed by noodles, then another layer of sauce. We want a layer of sauce on each side of the noodles. Then goes on the cheese mixture, followed by mozzarella, then a layer of sauce. Once again, break up some noodles for the next layer, spoon sauce over the noodles, add cheese mix, then a layer of frozen spinach. For the spinach, defrost it a bit in the microwave first and be sure to drain any liquid from it. Just squeeze it in some paper towels. This is important, otherwise the liquid will make the lasagna soggy. Also, if using fresh spinach, best to cook it down in a pan with a little water for a minute or so.
After the spinach add more sauce. Finally, top it off with another layer of noodles, sauce, then a good layer of mozzarella cheese. This will fill the mini loaf pan just about to the top. Then we want to cover it loosely with aluminum foil. You can spray the underside of the aluminum foil with some cooking spray to avoid the mozzarella cheese from sticking. Then a cup of water goes into the Instant Pot, the trivet is placed inside, and the lasagnas are placed snugly next to each other on the trivet. 25 minutes on manual (pressure cook on high), then a 10 minute natural release. Then… they’re ready for dinner!
An easy to make homemade spinach lasagna that cooks to perfection in your Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- 1.5 cups frozen spinach, drained
- 1.75 cups of marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Spoon a layer of sauce on the bottom of each mini loaf pan. Break up lasagna noodles and add a layer of noodles over the sauce. Spoon more sauce over the layer of noodles.
- Spread a layer of ricotta cheese mix on next, followed by some mozzarella cheese. Spoon over with a layer of sauce.
- Add another layer of noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese mix, spinach, sauce.
- Finally, top it off with a layer of noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Loosely cover each loaf pan with aluminum foil (you can spray the underside of the foil with non-stick cooking spray). Add 1 cup of water to Instant Pot, place trivet inside and place lasagna pans on top of trivet.
- Secure lid, close vent and pressure cook (“manual” on some cookers) on high pressure for 25 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
If using gluten free lasagna noodles, cook time will be 40 minutes, followed by 10 min NPR.