Take a look at the name of this recipe – “Best Ever Buttermilk Meatloaf with Brown Sugar Glaze”. I mean, if that doesn’t say it all right there, nothing does. There’s lots of meatloaf recipes that use all kinds of ingredients and prep and you could really make a different one every night for months. But, trust me on this, this meatloaf recipe is one of the very best you will ever have. And the brown sugar glaze… come on! The sweet brown sugar glaze baked on to the savory, juicy meatloaf, it’s simply – the best ever.
Many traditional meatloaf recipes use a combination of ground beef and maybe pork mixed in, with a variety of spices, eggs and breadcrumbs. That’s all fine and good. But i’l always looking for something that stands on it’s own, and isn’t just a hamburger on a plate. I also don’t want to stray too far from what good, classic meatloaf is. That’s why, by adding something as simple as buttermilk will create such a savory, delicious flavor and texture that’s hearty and keeps you coming back for more and more.
And let’s talk about this brown sugar glaze for a minute. Many traditional meatloaf recipes use ketchup as a glaze. That’s fine, but again, it’s often just a hamburger on a plate. This glaze is made from brown sugar, dijon mustard and cider vinegar. The combination of sweet from the brown sugar, the acid from the vinegar and the kick of the dijon mustard do something very special when combined and baked on to the meatloaf. This combination of flavors blends so well together when added to the meatloaf for the last 30 minutes of baking, it creates an amazing baked on glaze with flavors that compliment the meat so perfectly.
This recipe for buttermilk meatloaf with brown sugar glaze is one of my very favorites and i know you’re gonna love it too. Happy cooking!Print
- 2 ½ lbs of ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a sauce pan, add butter and diced onion. Sautee for about 5 minutes over medium heat until onions are translucent. Then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, breadcrumbs, buttermilk, 2 beaten eggs, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and onions. Use hands to mix everything well. Let stand for about 10 minutes for breadcrumbs to soak up moisture.
- Line a 13″ x 9″ glass baking dish with parchment paper. Shape meat mixture into a loaf of about 9″ x 5″.
- Bake for 45 minutes. While baking make the glaze by mixing dijon mustard, brown sugar and cider vinegar.
- After 45 minutes, remove pan with and coat meatloaf with the glaze. Return to oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Meatloaf will be 160F when done.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins