This recipe for Instant Pot broccoli cheese soup is one of my all time favorite soup recipes. Using the instant pot brings together all the major ingredients together so fast and so flavorful, it’s unbelievable.
The main ingredients are, of course fresh broccoli, a couple of carrots, a small onion, chicken broth, cheddar cheese, a little Lawry’s seasoning and some hot sauce. Yes, some hot sauce. This is used simply to help marry the flavors together a little better. Trust me when I say it really adds to the flavor profile, without adding heat.
One of the most important things with making this soup is the steps that follow the pressure cooking… when adding the half and half, and then the cheese, it must be done SLOWLY. If you just dump these ingredients in you can get curdling and the soup will basically be ruined. Pour the half and half in slowly, and whisk while doing so. It should take about 1 minute to pour all 16oz in. The when you add the cheese, do a little at a time. You’e using 2 cups (8oz) of cheese so add no more than a 1/4 cup at a time and whisk it in until melted. Once all the cheese is incorporated you can use an immersion blender if you want a smooth creamy soup. If you want a chunkier soup, skip the blending.
- 1lb fresh broccoli crowns, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups (8oz) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pint (16oz) half and half
- ½ tablespoon Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Add broccoli, chicken broth, onion, carrot and seasoning salt to Instant Pot. Secure lid, set to "Manual" (or "Pressure Cook" depending on which model you have) for 15 minutes with vent on "sealing".
- Now set cooker to "saute" for 3 minutes with the lid off. After the 3 minutes slowly pour in the half and half while continually whisking. The add the cheese in small amounts ¼ cup at a time while continually whisking.
- Add hot sauce and stir well into soup.
- If you want a creamier soup, use an immersion blender for about for about 20 seconds.