This recipe for Instant Pot ham and cheddar egg bites is easy to make and is a perfect addition to any breakfast. They’re also perfect to bring to work or a quick breakfast on the go. They re-heat in about 45 seconds, they’re filling and they’re delicious!
What are Egg Bites?
Egg bites have become very popular in the past year or so, mainly because of the “sous vide” egg bites at Starbucks. Sous vide is a method of cooking that uses a very specific temperature water bath to cooking. We won’t be using sous vide for this recipe, but rather our favorite kitchen appliance – the Instant Pot.
What are egg bites made with?
You can think of egg bites as almost a combination of a quiche and an omelette. Naturally, the main ingredient is eggs and along with them are various cheeses and usually a thick cheese such as cream cheese or cottage cheese. Then, of the main ingredients go, a heavy cream will be the liquid that brings all the ingredients together. For this egg bite recipe we’ll use cream cheese. It provides a nice, rich flavor base that really lends itself well with the cheddar cheese. You can use just about any meat in egg bite recipes. For this one we are using diced ham. I buy the packages of ham that is already diced. They’re the perfect size pieces and can just be thrown right in.
What do you need to make egg bites
These egg bites are made in an Instant Pot. If you’re not familiar with the Instant Pot craze, you don’t know what you’re missing! Simply put, they are electric pressure cookers. You probably remember hearing about pressure cookers from your grandparents. But they’re much different than they used to be. Instant Pots are a modern version of the classic pressure cooker that doesn’t sit on the stovetop, but rather is electric and programmable. Electric pressure cookers are super popular right now and the Instant Pot is by far and away, the most popular brand.
To make these egg bites we’ll use silicone egg bite molds. We simply fill the egg bite molds with out egg bite batter and they spend 9 minutes on the steam cycle of the Instant Pot. When thy’re done, we’ll let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes, then once we remove them from the Instant Pot, we let them sit for about 5 minutes, then they’ll slide right out of the egg bite molds are are ready to serve.
- 4 large eggs
- 3 oz. diced ham
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray the inside of the silicone egg bite molds with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add eggs, shredded cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, salt and pepper to a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Add equal amounts of diced ham to the bottoms of each egg bite cup. Pour batter into to each egg bite cup – about ¾ full.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Add 1 cup of water to Instant Pot. Place egg bite mold on trivet and lower into Instant Pot. Secure cover with sealing valve closed and set to “steam” for 9 minutes.
- Let naturally release for 10 minutes, remove from Instant pot and let sit for 5 minutes before removing egg bites from mold.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins