Making homemade macaroni and cheese is definitely at the top of the list for Instant Pot recipes. This recipe makes a creamy, rich and delicious macaroni and cheese that is an absolute new favorite for all of us!
Making mac and cheese in instant pot is so easy
Your Instant Pot to make the entire mac and cheese recipe. No need to use a pot to boil water, a strainer, or a casserole dish. Everything thing takes place in the magic of your favorite pressure cooker. And when you’re done, there’s only only dish to clean – your Instant Pot.
Salt the water first for delicious mac and cheese
One of the most important steps to cooking delicious pasta is to salt the water before cooking the pasta. This allows the pasta to absorbs the salt and gives it a flavor that cannot otherwise be achieved. When cooking pasta the traditional way with boiling water, we might use a tablespoon of salt. For cooking pasta in an Instant Pot, we’ll use less since we’re not draining the water. One teaspoon should be perfect. Please don’t skip this step.
Extra sharp cheddar and gouda cheese are the perfect combination
To make a creamy, full flavor cheese sauce, we’ll start with the perfect combination of cheese – extra sharp cheddar and gouda. These two cheese provide deep cheese flavor with rich boldness and extra creaminess. To get the best results, grate your own cheese. Cheese that is already shredded contains an ingredient to prevent the cheese from clumping in the package and this will affect the end result. Grating your own cheese will always make a homemade mac and cheese recipe much better.
The hot sauce does not make it hot, it brings out the flavors
Looking at the ingredients you may be thinking that the hot sauce will make the whole dish too hot! In fact, it does not at all. Restaurants use hot sauce all the time in their macaroni and cheese recipes to bring out the full flavors of the cheese.Print
- 1lb (16oz) elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 8oz extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12oz can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Add water and salt to Instant Pot. Add the macaroni and still well so it’s all submerged in the water. Secure lid and use manual (pressure cook) for 4 minutes with vent sealed.
- When cooking time is up, press cancel, remove lid and use a spatula with mix the macaroni and stir in the butter, evaporated milk, ground mustard and hot sauce.
- Press the saute button and then slowly add the cheese, a handful at a time and continue to mix it in until melted. This should take a couple of minutes.
- Once all the cheese is melted, press cancel to stop the saute mode and you’re ready to enjoy!