This recipe for Instant Pot mashed potatoes will make you a superstar at your next family feast. They are absolutely loaded with down-home goodness and are almost impossible to put down. The creamy, buttery texture is accentuated with roasted garlic and delicious Parmesan cheese. No need for boiling a huge pot of water or making a big mess, the magic all happens in your Instant Pot.
Mashed potatoes are a classic dish that have been enjoyed forever. We love them on holidays, special occasions, with a big Sunday supper, or as a side dish to an incredible meal. We actually don’t make them enough really, because, frankly, it can be a hassle. Well let’s let the Instant Pot take some of that hassle out of the equation.
Use Russet Potatoes and Leave the Skins On
While there’s several different potatoes you can used for mashed potatoes, nothing beats russet potatoes. They are the perfect texture, cook easily and have that rich flavor we know and love. And to make things even easier and more tasty – leave those skins on! Oh my goodness we get so much amazing flavor from the potato skins, especially the russets. The only prep you need to do is to wash and quarter the potatoes. That’s it!
Pressure Cook for 10 Minutes
No need for that giant pot of boiling water. Instead, use a steamer basket inside the Instant Pot and just 1 cup of water. Load the quartered potatoes in, secure the lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes are up, quick release the pressure, set the potatoes aside, and pour out the water in the pot.
Time to get creamy
With our potatoes set aside and water removed, set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add a stick of butter. Once the butter gets bubbly, add in 3 cloves of minced garlic, the salt and the white pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. The smell will be amazing at this point. The white pepper is such an awesome ingredient that will add nice deep, vibrant flavor to the potatoes. Press cancel to stop the sauté process and add in the cream, then the potatoes.
Mix, Mash and Cheese
Now that we have the potatoes back in the pot, use a large wooden spoon or potato masher and get busy mixing and mashing everything together. During this process, add the parmesan cheese. You can continue mixing and mashing until you reach the desired consistency. But, for even better results, use the good old fashioned electric hand mixer. I love using the hand mixer because it helps get our creamy mashed potatoes more fluffy as well. You only need a minute or two with the mixer, and I think you’ll absolutely love the results!
Ready to Serve
Your mashed potatoes are now ready to serve. A wonderful presentation is to put them in a large serving bowl or dish, and add a little butter to the top and garnish with chopped parsley and chives.
An absolutely heavenly recipe for Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Rich, creamy, fluffy potatoes with garlic and parmesan cheese.
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes, washed and quartered (not peeled)
- 3 cloves of fresh minced garlic
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup water
- Pour 1 cup of water into Instant Pot liner and add trivet or steamer basket. Add potatoes. Secure lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When pressure cook time is complete, press cancel, quick release the pressure, carefully remove lid, remove potatoes and set aside, drain water from pot.
- Put pot back in place, add butter and press sauté (medium level if applicable). When butter is melted, add the garlic, salt and white pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- After the 2 minutes are up, press cancel and add potatoes back to pot.
- Use a wooden spoon or potato masher and start mixing everything together. Add in the parmesan cheese at this time.
- Continue mashing or use a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes to reach desired consistency.