Easy recipe for Banana Nut Muffins. Use those over ripe bananas to make these heavenly muffins that as so moist, sweet and delicious!
Those bananas are just sitting there, on the counter, getting more spotted and speckled as the days go by. As usual, you bought a bunch, ate a few, and have several left and they’re a little past the point of packing them in tomorrow’s lunch. But don’t worry, behind those freckled peels, there’s sweet gold. Those bananas are perfect for banana nut muffins!
Over-Ripe Bananas Are Perfect for Muffins and Bread!
You see, as bananas ripen, and subsequently over-ripen, there’s a whole process inside happening where the natural starch is being converted to sugar. That’s why over-ripe bananas are so sweet, and so perfect for using in recipes such as this.
This recipe for banana nut muffins couldn’t be any easier. It also uses just a few ingredients and takes only about 20 minutes in the oven. These muffins are absolutely delicious when fresh out of the oven with some butter. And don’t worry if you don’t like nuts. Simply leave them out of the recipe. No other alterations are necessary. But of course, they are so good with chopped walnuts!
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 ½ cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, and baking soda. In another bowl, mash bananas, add egg, oil and vanilla extract. Mix well and then add to bowl with dry ingredients and nuts. Mix by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, about ¾ way full each. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool a few minutes before enjoying.
Recipe updated April 2020
Add ½ – 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon for even more delicious flavor
Add ½ cup of chocolate chips if desired
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American