With a rich, savory sauce, these Instant Pot short ribs are so tender and delicious, you can’t believe they’re this easy to make. This recipe has instantly become a favorite and I think you’ll love it too.
What Are Short Ribs?
If you’re not familiar with short ribs, they’re cuts of beef taken from the chuck area of the cattle. They’re very popular in slow cooker recipes and now we can make the most amazing short ribs in our Instant Pot pressure cooker in a fraction of the time of a slow cooker.
For this recipe we’ll use boneless beef short ribs. You’ll want to make sure the package clearly says beef short ribs and not country ribs, which can look very similar. You will also want to look for short ribs that are well marbled. Short ribs that are too lean can often come out dry. The marbled fat will provide a tenderness and juiciness that’s simply awesome with this recipe.
We’ll start by seasoning our short ribs with some salt and pepper and browning them in a tablespoon of olive oil. Let them get a good sear for about 5 minutes and don’t touch them! Then flip them over and sear for an additional 3 minutes. This is the first step in building our flavor base. Next we’ll remove the short ribs to a plate, then add onion, celery, carrots and garlic powder to the pot and and saute for 5 minutes. By now, there should be some stuck on bits on the bottom of the pot which is loaded with flavor! Pour the broth into the pot and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon. This is called deglazing and it’s a big part of the flavor profile for the recipe.
Our sauce is made with chicken broth and red wine vinegar as the base. Feel free to use a real red wine such as merlot as a substitute for the red wine vinegar. You can also use cranberry juice as a substitute. Place the short ribs back into the pot and add the red wine vinegar (or it’s substitute) and the oregano. Secure the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 45 minutes. When the cooking time is up, let the pressure naturally release for at least 15 minutes before quick releasing any remaining pressure.
Time to Rest and Thicken the Sauce
Carefully remove the lid after the pressure is released and the pin drops. Remove the short ribs to plate and cover with foil. Set the Instant pot to saute mode and stir in the butter. While the sauce is simmering, make a cornstarch slurry in a separate small bowl or cup by using 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Mix it well and then slowly pour it into the simmering sauce. Continuing simmering for a couple of minutes and sauce will thicken.
Delectable Instant Pot boneless beef short ribs that are fork tender with a luxurious texture. Served in delicious creamy oregano sauce.
- 1 lb. Boneless Short Ribs (well marbled)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 tbs cold water
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and press saute.
- Pat short ribs dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ribs to the pot and leave them alone for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip and brown an additional 3 minutes. Then remove short ribs to a plate and reserve.
- Add the celery, carrots and garlic powder to the pot and saute for 5 minutes. Then press cancel.
- Add red wine vinegar and broth to the Instant Pot and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any browned on bits. Stir in the oregano and add the short ribs directly into the liquid in the pot and secure the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high pressure (“manual” on some Instant Pots) for 45 minutes. When time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, then go ahead and release any remaining pressure.
- Press cancel, remove lid and carefully remove the short ribs to a plate and cover with foil.
- Press saute on Instant Pot and add the butter. In a separate cup or small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Slowly add the cornstarch slurry to the simmering sauce and continue sauteeing until sauce thickens.
- Serve the short ribs with sauce and enjoy!
Keywords: Instant Pot, Short Ribs, Beef Ribs