Made with red potatoes and fresh green beans in a creamy garlic Parmesan sauce, this Instant Pot recipe is the perfect side dish for any meal. Using simple ingredients and easy prep, this recipe can be on your plate in about 20 minutes start to finish.
I absolutely love everything about this recipe. Let’s see… hearty red potatoes with fresh green beans, cooked to perfection in a creamy Parmesan cheese sauce, seasoned with garlic and a little black pepper. Wow! With a pressure cook time of only 3 minutes (plus about 8-10 minutes to build pressure), this is a quick recipe that goes well with just about anything.
Use Medium Red Potatoes
We’ll start with 2lbs of medium sized red potatoes. No need to peel, just make sure they’re washed. 2lbs. will be approximately 12 medium sized potatoes. Red potatoes are ideal for this recipe because they hold up well. Since we’re not roasting them, we don’t want them to completely fall apart after cooking, but rather get nice and buttery soft. Cut the potatoes into chunks of about 1 inch in size. For the average medium sized potatoes, this usually means cutting in half, then into quarters. If using baby red potatoes, usually cutting in half is all that’s necessary.
Use Fresh Green Beans
I LOVE fresh green beans! For this recipe we’ll use about 1lb of fresh green beans. Again, no need to be precise. Make sure they’re rinsed and clean with the ends cut off, then cut the larger ones in half. Simple as that!
Pressure Cook 3 Minutes
Our potatoes and green beans aren’t going to spent too much time in our pressure cooker. In fact, the cooking time is only 3 minutes. But, as with all pressure cooking, it takes time to build pressure, and the food will be cooking the entire time. It will probably take about 8-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. Then, when the 3 minutes are up, do a quick release of the pressure. It will probably take a full minute or two for all the steam to be released. When the pin drops, carefully remove the lid. Then we’re ready to make our creamy garlic and Parmesan cheese sauce.
Add Remaining Ingredients for Creamy Sauce
To finish up our recipe, we’ll add a ¼ cup of heavy cream and ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese. The heavy cream provides a nice, rich, creamy texture and savory flavor. But, you can use whole or 2% milk as well. Won’t be quite as thick, but that’s ok. Ultimately, we don’t want the potatoes and green beans to be swimming in the sauce, but rather just to be nicely coated with it. After we add the cheese and cream, stir and toss it gently to melt the cheese and get everything nice and mixed. The sauce may be thin at first, but that’s totally fine, it will thicken after a bit.
Perfectly seasoned and cooked red potatoes with green beans in a creamy Parmesan garlic sauce, all cooked in your Instant Pot.
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (plus additional to taste)
- Add potatoes, green beans, salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic to Instant Pot and gently toss to mix.
- Add 1 cup chicken broth, secure lid with vent set to “sealing” and pressure cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When pressure cook time is complete, to a quick release of the pressure and carefully remove lid when the pin has dropped.
- Add cream and Parmesan cheese and gently stir until until everything is well incorporated and cheese melts.
- Add additional fresh ground black pepper if desired and serve.